About the Council

Membership in garden clubs, horticultural association and plant societies adds beauty, fun and a sense of purpose to our lives while beautifying the community and improving the environment.

Membership provides an opportunity to learn:

  • floral design
  • growing plants suitable for our locale
  • conservation methods
  • and much more!

Our History

The Fort Myers-Lee County Garden Council, Inc. was created in 1957 as the Fort Myers Garden Council by 9 local clubs and societies joining together. In 1967 it was renamed the Fort Myers – Lee County Garden Council as its membership had far outgrown the city limits. The Council now consists of over 20 garden clubs, 8 plant societies and 2 affiliates totaling over 1800 members.

In 2007 the Council moved to its current headquarters, made possible by a long-term lease from the City of Fort Myers. The Berne Davis Gardens and Mina Edison Botanical Library are housed on the premises.

When these groups unite as the Fort Myers – Lee County Garden Council, Inc. they represent a force to educate the community, to beautify our environs and to encourage conservation of our vital natural resources.